Mark your calendars
Third Tuesday of each month starting Sept. 16 for all levels of family historians and genealogists from 7 to 8:30 p.m. in the Stevenson Archives. Prifessional genealogist and Historical Society archivist Gregory Thompson moderates.
Chapman Lectures, at Acton Library, 60 Old Boston Post Road
"Tempest-Tossed: The Spirit of Isabella Beecher Hooker" Thursday, Nov. 20, at 7 p.m. by Susan Campbell
Bushnell Farm Open House (benefit for the Historical Society)
Nov 23, 2-4 pm refreshments served. for admision the purchase of an ornament
Saturday and Sunday, Nov. 29 and 30, from 1 to 4 p.m. in the Hart House Exibit Gallery. $40 for memebers, $45 for non-members. reservations at 860-395-1635.
Sunday, Dec. 14, 4 to 6 p.m. at the Hart House.
HISTORICAL SOCIETY RECEIVES AWARD
Each year the Old Saybrook Chamber of Commerce recognizes a non-profit organization who “contribute to the economic vitality and quality of life in Old Saybrook” and this year the honor went to the Old Saybrook Historical Society. In making the announcement, the Chamber’s Executive Director Judy Sullivan said the Historical Society has developed a reputation for organizational excellence and has had a major impact on the lives of individuals within the past year. Ms. Sullivan pointed out several specific reasons for the selection:
1. The Old Saybrook Historical Society and the William Hart House and Gardens is a gem right in the middle of town.
2. Many volunteers work very hard to promote the long history of Old Saybrook and work to keep it in the minds of the community – particularly being the oldest town on the Shoreline!
3. The many programs presented by the Historical Society encompass all ages. Volunteers encompass all ages!
4. The Stevenson Archive and Library has helped many residents and visitors with genealogical research.
5. Varied and interesting lectures provide insight into historical information.
The award was presented December 5 at the Chamber’s Annual Dinner at the Saybrook Point Inn by the Chamber President Kristen Roberts and Executive Director Judy Sullivan. Previous recipients of the “Nonprofit of the Year” award include Estuary Council of Seniors, High Hopes Therapeutic Riding Center , HOPE Partnership, and the Old Saybrook Youth & Family Services of Berlin.
The Hart House and Stevenson Archives are now virtual:
Find us in